3.19.2006

I can smell the solo coming....

Lesson #6
------------
Flight Time: 8:00am
Length: 1.2 hrs
Total Time in logbook: 21.5 (6.7 since starting lessons again)

Got up way too early for a sunday morning, but the only time avaiable for the plane Ive been flying (N328SP), was early this morning. As it turns out it was a beautiful morning, with the exception of the winds gusting to 16 at 7am :)

After preflight, we headed up and out of the nut tree and I asked my instructor "where to?", and he promptly replied "yolo county, winds seem to be more aligned with the runway out there". Ok, were off to Yolo County! After about 10 or 15 mins, just east of winters I saw the airport. Im getting better at aerial recognition, I always figured airports would be easier to spot, but they really do blend in! As we entered on the downwind, I noticed lots of birds in the area of the runway, that really gets me, but I guess we are invading their airspace afterall.

Yolo county was a rather nice field, very nicely paved surface and nice and wide. On finals, I was getting batted about rather well by the winds and had to keep in alot more power than Im used to (about 2000 RPM vs 1500 or less normally). Just after my first touch and go, one of my new acquaintences entered the traffic pattern with his instructor. It was really cool to follow each other around the pattern. My radio work is getting like clock work now, which is great progress from just a short time ago. After about 10 t/o and landings we decided to head back home as the wind was starting to pick up even more. I got ATIS headed back home, and it was gusting to 23! yikes this one will be fun.

Entered on the downwind just above pattern alt., for runway 2. Im glad my instructor was in the plane with me as it was really a drastic crosswind, just about or above the 15 rated for the aircraft. I made it stick, but it wasnt pretty.

Back at the fuel pumps, I saw N286SP, the plane that was doing pattern work out at yolo with us. We parked and tied down, and shot the breeze for a bit. We both commented on the winds and the turbulence below 1500ft. I feel bad for the pilot on his checkride this morning, best of luck to him!

After a while back at the FBO, my instructor and I went over the Pre-Solo test Id taken home with me after the last flight. There was a few questions I had about 1 or 2 questions, but overall I did very well. I dont think there was a major correction to any one of my answers, which admittedly I had to go back to my study guides alot for, but still I feel ready its just a matter of convincing my instructor now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home