3.04.2006

Whats all the buzz about?

Lesson #3:
-----------
Focus: Stalls, landings, slow flight
Logged Time: 1.2 hrs
Total Time: 17.2hrs
Session Notes:

Went up again in N328SP again today, thats her in all her glory. Primary focus was to practice some stalls over our practice area, and get some more landings in. Departure went as planned, and I asked to do the radio work this time as Ive been practing in the car, in the shower, and using vatsim.org. I will say Im getting much better. I still get hung up calling crosswinds and baselegs sometimes tho.

After some power on and power off stalls (buzzZZZZZZZ .... whee I love doing those still!), we got atis for nut tree, and it was a perfect 90 crosswind ("They say its not too common out here"), but its OK as my prev. flight training was out at gnoss field which I swear was designed at a perfect 90 to the prevailing winds :) My instructor looks to me and says "Looks like perfect landing conditions, lets head back home for some pattern work" .... OK, I gues this is what I get for telling him I was some what comfortable with crosswind landings.

As we were headed back towards the airport, the radio started to get pretty busy, and it was my luck that the approach I was expecting, rnwy 20 which the conditions favored, was no longer being used .... every one in the area decided to use runway 2.

First approach went well, birds on final are scary ..... all around the aircraft, luckily no strikes. The second attempt I was told to let the plane crab in and align with centerline just before flare. "Man, that felt right!" I said excitedly as the right mains touch down then the lefts, and oh so easily the nose wheel comes down ...... "Very Nice" says my instructor ...

The 3rd and last approach was my worst. I was low on short final and had to really throttle up. I mentaly hung tho, and collected my thoughts and got 'er done. I stomped on the right rudder a bit too hard on the runway while slowing down, really upset myself, and amazingly didnt shake my instructor. Nerves of steel Im tell ya.

Ive got an appointment for my medical and Im dilligently studying for my written. Hoping to solo again within the next flight or two.

Next Lesson: Stall recovery, landing practice, maybe another simulated engine out
Focus points: Visualize in-flight wind, climbing turns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home