3.01.2006

up we go!

Leson #2
----------
Focus: Reintroduce my self to flight
Logged Time: 1.2hrs
Total Time: 16.0hrs
Session Notes:

Yesterday we had a tornado watch, and rainfall in the 2" an hour mark early in the afternoon.

Needless to say, this is bit abnormal for northern california. I didnt think there was any hope of getting airborne anytime soon as the weather was predicting rain for the next 10 days.

Come evening time, it had quit raining, and was starting to clear bit. I started thinking I may get up tomorrow .... quick check of the weather and its now partly cloudy! Check work calendar, and instructors avail. ... looks like 1pm will be a good time for everyone, hope the weather agrees.

I showed up a few minutes early, and my instructor and I went over the preflight for this aircraft. I then finished up the preflight and began getting acquainted with the cockpit. WOW, what luxury compared to the 150 and 152s Ive flown previously. Leg room and an adjustable seat height, amazing :)

After we checked atis (15sm vis, broken at 3000, winds gusting to 16), I was asked to taxi to runway 20. First thing I noticed was the difference in a 172 and 152s taxing characteristics. The 152 is very nimble and requires minor corrections of rudder. The 172 is just the opposite, and I found myself using the steering very generously. I also noticed the 172 'picks up' speed after youre rolling much more quickly than the 152. We do the runup check on the tarmac just off runway 20 and everything goes as planned (was interesting to see the subtle diferences between FI and naturally aspirated runup and startup procedures).

I ask my instructor to handle the radio, as Im still not comfortable handling it as well as managing the aircraft (I still dont know why). He calls were taking the active and I delay slightly giving any last minute short finals to call out impending doom :) I position and hold right on the numbers, I think I like this planes ground handling abilities.........

Throttle to full rotate at 60kts. Hold 75 knot climb was the instruction.... Throttle to full, 60kts.....up we go! WOW, it feels strangely familiar.

Out towards the practice area, north of winters, I start picking up landmarks I recognize .... hwy 80, 505, and downtown sacramento. I execute some clearing turns, and proceed to slow flight exercises. Trimmed for 45kts just cruising, the 172 feels much more active than the 152. Still seems very responsive to my inputs which Im not used to. Wow, it just got quiet in here......

My instructor says "you just lost your engine (simulated of course), what do we do?" Ummmmm .... Glide speed thats it! 65kts for this bird .... Trimmed and set. "Where are we going to land?" he asks. At this point I think haha Im clever wheres the airport he doesnt want me to see, but alas no trickery here (yet :)) and I select a nice freshly plowed field. "Circle and setup for the landing coming into the wind" .... As I circle down I notice some trees just east of the farm house Id have to thread. I clearly talked thru all these steps, and was complimented by my instructor. "Good Job. back up to 2500 now please." It was about that time, I noticed a loose rivet on the front cowling. Nothing major, but just bad enough to make us land and fix it (no one wants the front cowl blowing open in flight, Im sure of this). I point it out to my instructor, and he says "Ahhh, lets head back home and shutdown and repair, then some pattern work". No problem!

We pick up atis again, once back into the area still gusting to 16, but relatively head on (not like gnoss field). We fly a right downwind for 20, and I ask to make the radio calls. Boy was that funny. I slaughtered each announcement I tried today :)

On the ground, problem solved lets get into the pattern. My first approach was good, not a "greaser", but good. The second one, I just didnt feel it. The biggest problem I had in learning the 172 today was the feeling from the aircraft in the flare (really last 100ft of altitude). Just couldnt feel it like I could in the 150 or 152. The thrid landing was my best by far. I really greased it!

Within the next few weeks my instructor will be certified to instruct in the garmin 172. Im going todo another flight or two before then I hope, but Ill be moving into the garmin display ASAP.

Im really excited, about how comfortable I was, and how much I was able to recall from so long ago. Still so much todo, and so much to learn. As things progess on in a more timely fashion, Ill be adding pictures to each post, as well as the lesson or focus of each flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home